Hi,

In one of the packages I am currently working on (idlastro [1]), some
files have the following license [2]:

| Copyright 1992, The Regents of the University of California. This
| software was produced under U.S. Government contract (W-7405-ENG-36)
| by Los Alamos National Laboratory, which is operated by the University
| of California for the U.S. Department of Energy. The U.S. Government
| is licensed to use, reproduce, and distribute this software. Neither
| the Government nor the University makes any warranty, express or
| implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the use of
| this software.

Surely, this makes the code non-free. However, I have no idea whom to
ask to change to license to something DFGS-compatible.

What are the experiences with this kind of copyright: are there any
chances to make it free?

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/