The copyright you quoted applies to the code from the original
implementation in MATLAB.

This code is a complete rewrite in Python, so the original copyright should
not apply. Not sure why this file is provided since the two code bases are
different.

Anyway I am open to hear from a second opinion from d-legal.

Ghis