Greetings, all!

[Lurker in the Debian space, decloaking to ask a clarification.]

On 15 Dec 2019, at 07:01, Francesco Poli <invernom...@paranoici.org> wrote:

> But can DFSG-free data be prepared for the test suite of a program
> intended to identify licenses?!? How can I test whether the program is
> able to identify CC-by-nc-nd-v1.0 *without* feeding it the actual text
> of that same license?!?

A subset of the more general “can Debian core ship non-free *data*”.
Is this not already addressed, eg by games which can use paid-for data but ship
in Debian with replacement assets?
If so, the whole-as-one-package of licensecheck should ship analogously,
barring exception for “fair use”/non-US-equivalents.
What am I missing here?

Perhaps an argument this is really shipping a convenience *cache* of
freely-available read-only texts.
(You’re not being bound to anything if you download license texts from eg
choosealicense.com <http://choosealicense.com/> or Apple’s legal site ….)
Are there existing Debian packages which perform this role already?
If so, analogize from those?

If licensecheck would thus ship as contrib or non-free, maybe split off the
contrib and non-free data portions
into separate plug-in packages, which depend on licensecheck and which the core
licensecheck could “suggest”?

Thanks!

Joseph