Ben Westover writes:
> On August 5, 2022 1:03:18 AM EDT, Walter Landry <wlan...@wlandry.net> wrote:
>>As someone who participated in that original exchange in 2004, APSL 2.0
>>still looks impossible to follow.  If Debian suddenly goes off-line,
>>Debian is not in compliance with the license.
>
> How exactly does Debian "go off-line", with so many mirrors and other
> forms of redundancy?

The long arm of the law can make that happen.  Whatever problems Debian
may have with the law, that does not excuse its obligations under the
license.

But that is just if Debian wanted to distribute the code in non-free.
For the main archive, the DFSG is a guarantee for the users.  I know
that if I, as an individual, get code from main and distribute changes,
at most I will have to publish the corresponding source at the same
time.  The APSL requires me, personally, to make the corresponding
source available for 12 months.  I can not just take down my website and
work on a farm.

>>For all of the other
>>licenses, offering the source at the same time is sufficient.  For APSL
>>2.0, Debian has to keep the source archive up for at least 12 months
>>since it last published a modification.
>
> Doesn't the GPL2 mandate three years of distribution for non-personal
> modifications?

No.  If you distribute the corresponding source at the same time, that
is enough.

Cheers,
Walter Landry