On 30/03/2015, Moritz Muehlenhoff <j...@debian.org> wrote:

> Squeeze LTS misses a security-supported browser

A number of web browsers that are present in Debian 6, are completely
unsupported.

These include, but, are not limited to, Arora, Rekonq, etc.

Each of those has its particular advantages, as a web browser, but,
they are abandoned, by the people who developed or previously
maintained them.

This applies to other types of packages, in addition to these.

One significant such package, is firestarter - from
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=firestarter&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
is

"
You have searched for packages that names contain firestarter in all
suites, all sections, and all architectures. Found 1 matching
packages.

Exact hits

Package firestarter
squeeze (oldstable) (admin): gtk program for managing and observing
your firewall
1.0.3-8: amd64 armel i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
wheezy (stable) (admin): GTK program for managing and observing your firewall
1.0.3-11: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
sid (unstable) (admin): GTK program for managing and observing your firewall
1.0.3-11 [debports]: m68k
"

Now, given the nature of the objective of the Debian LTS project (as
opposed to the Ubuntu LTS system, which, I believe (but, I stand to be
corrected), supposedly fully maintains all packages, for the LTS
lifecycle), which, I believe, is intended to provide updates to
address potential security issues in some (as has been raised
previously, excluding packages that are regarded as frivolous)
packages, I think that, perhaps, packages like web browsers and
firestarter, would "come under the umbrella" of the Debian LTS
project.

In the absence of this, I believe that some people are still running
firestarter, on Debian 5, being the last version of Debian, on which
firestarter was apparently supported.

I note that firestarter is, from the above, included in Debian 7, even
though it has not been supported since some time during the (non-LTS)
lifecycle of Debian 5.

That, I believe, is a security issue in itself.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."