On 01/24/2018 08:02 AM, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:41:57AM +0100, Lars Tangvald wrote:
I can't find much of anything that has changed from 5.5 to 5.6 in terms of
default behavior, except for NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION being the default
sql_mode
(https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/sql-mode.html#sqlmode_no_engine_substitution).
I'll do some more digging, but I don't think there should be much impact on
reverse-dependencies.

Some options were removed
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-options.html (often renamed).
We did see quite a few regressions of that type for users upgrading from 5.5
to 5.7, but almost all were because the default 5.5 config in Ubuntu
packaging contained options that were removed in 5.7.
That sounds far too disruptive for an LTS; better declare announce the server
part of mysql (where all the vulnerabilities apply) as unsupported in advance
and in December change the package to only build the libmysqlclient parts.
The client library part is usually not affected by any security issues and
that way you don't risk any regressions.
Usually, yes, but what happens when this is not the case?
Keep in mind that the issues we got reported in Ubuntu was because the removed options were in the 5.5 default config file shipped in Ubuntu. There's no such settings in the 5.5 to 5.6 upgrade.
People then have a year to migrate their servers to jessie (or ideally
update/reimage to stretch)
This is about Jessie, which currently has 5.5.

--
Lars
Cheers,