On Saturday 03 December 2011 15:58:21 Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> > Thanks for handy advice. It may be nice to use tags for versioning,
> > but I'd like to keep translated-to-date version because it is
> > human-readable and meaningful.
> > "2.0" doesn't say much and I'm not sure what to do if minor update to
> > upstream repository will not be tagged.
> >
> > Shall we keep version with date please?
> > Of course I'll change it as advised if you insist.
>
> All version numbers are meaningless, I just find it a bit strange to
> use a different version number to what upstream uses. Using git
> describe will give you the closest to what upstream uses.
>
> You are the maintainer of the package though, so the version number is
> your decision. Should I upload as-is or do you want to switch it to
> the upstream version number?

Please upload as is.
Current version number combine upstream tag and the date of upstream commit
(which I think is not too difficult to notice) so it is immediately visible
when upstream was active last time.

Having said this, I admit the elegance of what you suggested so I might be
using tag-based versioning for some other packages.

Cheers,
Dmitry.