On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:54:41AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:58:26PM +0100, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> > > The lack of automatic installation is the reason why I don't install
> > > Debian any more for my customers.
> > Oh, and to clarify: I completely agree. This is, IMO, the biggest missing
> > feature in Debian at the moment.
> There are the usual problems:
> - the "evil maintainer" that simply refuses patches

Cite.

Then do what I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread, and discuss it with
the maintainer in good faith, try to work out exactly what the issues the
maintainer has with the patch are and make sure they're solved to the best
of your ability, and then if there's still a problem, take it to -devel.

> - several of our 900 maintainers are completely MIA and a wishlist bug
>   isn't a good reason for a NMU

Uh, a very small minority of packages are interactive, and a fairly
small minority of developers are MIA. Further, a wishlist bug *is* a
reason to do an NMU, it's merely not a reason to just completely ignore
the maintainer's wishes and do it immediately.

> > Imagining that changing policy is like waving a magic wand and'll suddenly
> > make everything all wonderful and work just the way you want it to with
> > no effort on your part is a delusion. Forget it, and move on already.
> Is our main goal to give a c00l @debian.org address to everyone or to make
> a high quality distribution?

What are you smoking now?

> Seriously:
> If there's something that makes things for many people easier (IMHO
> debconf is an example) and if we give the maintainers enough time (read
> several months or years) it's IMHO correct to force every maintainer to
> do a change.

Again, you are completely wrong here.

The way to do a change is not to do it via changing policy, or making
rules and threats, it's to get out there and write the code and talk
to maintainers.

If you can't be bothered to put your time and energy where your mouth is
(ie, by doing the work rather than telling other people to do it), well,
quite frankly: shut up.

If you are willing to do the work, have at it. You don't need policy's
support to do it though. If anyone comes back at you along the lines of
"sure this improves things for users, but it's not in policy so I just
won't bother", I'm happy to flame them in much the same way as I'm
flaming you now, for what that's worth.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
                -- Mike Hoye,
                      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt