On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:46:17PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:41:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Sure there's something you can do: forward it on to -devel, try to make
> > sure it's clear what (if anything) the maintainer and you think the issues
> > are, and try to come to some sort of consensus about what should be done.
> Of course.  Thing is that that's an awful lot of hassle and rather
> offputting so people still want that big stick that would save them
> grinding through it for stuff that really ought to be obvious.

ie, "People aren't interested in doing any work themselves to help
maintainers, they're just interested in ensuring other people put in
the work to make sure whatever they want to do works, and making sure
there's some way to punish everyone else if they don't do it"

I'm still mildly surprised that this sort of sentiment is considered
reasonable by subscribers to this list, but I hope no one is shocked
that I think it was a vast mistake to let people who hold that sort of
sentiment having any influence over the RC-ness of bugs.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
                -- Mike Hoye,
                      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt