Quoting Russ Allbery (2023-09-10 21:41:59)
> Jeremy Stanley <fu...@yuggoth.org> writes:
>
> > I'm surprised, for example, by the absence of the ISC license given that
> > not only ISC's software but much of that originating from the OpenBSD
> > ecosystem uses it. My personal software projects also use the ISC
> > license. Are you aggregating the "License:" field in copyright files
> > too, or is it really simply a hard-coded list of matching patterns?
>
> It's only a hard-coded list of matching patterns, and it doesn't match any
> of the short licenses because historically I wasn't considering them (with
> the exception of common-licenses references to the BSD license, which I
> kind of would like to make an RC bug and clean up so that we could remove
> the BSD license from common-licenses on the grounds that it's specific to
> only the University of California and confuses people).  If we go with any
> sort of threshold, the script will need serious improvements.
>
> That was something else I wanted to ask: I've invested all of a couple of
> hours in this script, and would be happy to throw it away in favor of
> something that tries to do a more proper job of classifying the licenses
> referenced in debian/copyright.  Has someone already done this (Jonas,
> perhaps)?

I have so far worked the most on identifying and grouping source data,
putting only little attention (yet - but do dream big...) towards
parsing and processing debian/copyright files e.g. to compare and assess
how well aligned the file is with the content it is supposed to cover.

So if I understand your question correctly and you are not looking for
the output of `licensecheck --list-licenses`, then unfortunately I have
nothing exciting to offer.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones