On Tue, 12 Sep 2023 at 22:17:44 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> Maybe the right way to do this is just have two examples, one as the
> >> default and another if you're using tmpfiles.d functionality added in a
> >> specific version of systemd that's newer than the version shipped with
> >> the stable version of Debian prior to the one you're targeting.

Yes, I think that reads better than what I initially suggested. Thanks!

The key piece of information that was missing from your previous proposal
was that systemd-tmpfiles interface versions match upstream systemd
version numbers. As a concrete example, if someone wants to upload an
implementation other than the one from systemd, it cannot have

    Provides: systemd-tmpfiles (= 254)

until it has at least a basic implementation of the new "X", "C+" and
"--graceful" features introduced in systemd 254.

> +All packages that ship ``tmpfiles.d`` configuration should declare a
> +dependency on::
> +
> +    default-systemd-tmpfiles | systemd-tmpfiles

If the package benefits from running tmpfiles.d but does not strictly
require it (for example dbus-daemon, where /run/dbus/containers is needed
for some optional functionality), would a Recommends or Suggests be
allowed by this wording, or are we intending for this to be a mandatory
hard dependency?

    smcv