On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 10:41:55AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 17, Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > (I am a little confused by this wording, but I think what you're saying is
> > that /usr is encrypted and read-only, and /var is recreated on each boot.
> > That at least is my understanding of the pattern that you're trying to
> > enable.)
> The general idea is to be able to create /var on the first boot.

Does not that would break users expectation that the system image contains /var
before the first boot ?

A lot of things in /var are caches that are mostly instance-independent and can
be prefilled, but for that, users expect a minimal directory hierarchy to be
present before first boot.

It seems your scheme favors some usecase over some others.

Cheers
--
Bill. <ballo...@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.