On Sep 17, Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:

> (I am a little confused by this wording, but I think what you're saying is
> that /usr is encrypted and read-only, and /var is recreated on each boot.
> That at least is my understanding of the pattern that you're trying to
> enable.)
The general idea is to be able to create /var on the first boot.
If /var can be populated programmatically then a system can be trivially
replicated by sharing (or copying) /usr and by copying /etc.

BTW, I do not expect that tmpfiles.d(5) will be the standard method used
to create most directories below /var.
Usually the CacheDirectory, LogsDirectory and StateDirectory directives
are more convenient and flexible.

> The benefit we gain from this is attribution of the directories in the
> dpkg database, which is useful (although I understand that one can argue
> about how useful).
Not enough to justify having multiple sources of truth is my opinion.

--
ciao,
Marco