On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 10:31  AM, Frank Murphy wrote:

 I turned authorization off as you said, and now I get a
cooler-looking login screen, along with a little output-only console in the bottom right. When I enter my name/pass, the console prints "(xdm)
session opened by uid" and the rest is cut off at the edge of the
screen.  The screen flickers, goes out, and then comes back with the
login screen again with the message "(xdm) session closed for user
steven" in the little console thingy.
Doesn't look too bad this time, except for the PEX font.  What else
could stop me from logging

OK. So the font problem, I don't know. But for logging in, there should be a file in your home directory called .xsession-errors. What is in that file? It
should show what has caused you to have to log out.

Frank

This does look like a problem:
Xsession: unable to start X session;  no /home/steven/.xsession file, no
/home/steven/.Xsession file, no session managers, no window managers, and no
terminal emulators found.  Aborting.