On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:34:27AM +0100, Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina wrote:

> Thinking on this problem a bit further (not feasible with current
> implementation), wouldn't it be nice if the user could enable Python
> (via environment or command line switch) to use some local repository
> (~/.python/X.Y/) to store .py{c,o} files if (s)he hasn't write access to
> the system files?

You always can copy the .py[co] files in
/usr/lib/python2.X/site-packages at install time. Since these directory
come before /usr/lib/site-python in the default sys.path, the compiled
modules will be used on import.

Now this has some unpleasant consequences:
 * python no longer has a way of seeing if the .pyc is up to date
 * I think this screws up the exception reporting routines in python

Maybe this could be handled with symlinks?

--
Alexandre Fayolle
LOGILAB, Paris (France).