On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Piotr Ożarowski <pi...@debian.org> wrote:
> [Ondrej Certik, 2009-01-25]
>> I really want it in unstable.
>
> I want unstable not to be affected by testing freeze as well, but that's
> all what I will say in this topic before Lenny's release.
>
> For now, if we want to give maintainers, whose packages are depending on
> our packages, a possibility to test them in unstable, we have to use
> experimental. Example: Sphinx 0.5 - if I would upload it to unstable,
> all maintainers that are now complaining that their new packages cannot
> be build in unstable, would not even notice that Lenny's version is not
> sufficient to build it (and some of them would probably try to unblock
> the package for Lenny).
>
> That said, I think Lenny should be released with Sphinx 0.5, I just
> doubt I would be able to convince release managers to unblock it, I even
> resigned to try to unblock 0.4.3 (there's another problem I would like
> to be discussed after Lenny here)

I switched from stable to testing and then unstable (many years ago)
exactly because I wanted (=needed) new packages and didn't want to
compile from source. Basically now the situation is that I will have
to start using experimental for most packages I use daily, e.g.
sphinx, numpy, scipy and many others... Imho that's not the way. I
also need python3.0, which is still not in unstable, so I also
compiled it from source.

I understand that Debian contains a lot of different people with
different needs. But I want some distribution that keeps updating and
that's it, or a freeze a month (maybe two) at maximum, not half a year
or more. :(

Well, but the best I can do about it is to either create my own
repository with programs I need, or just upload to experimental, which
is better, because it is at least part of Debian in some way. But when
people come to experimental, they'll see:

"
Experimental package

Warning: This package is from the experimental distribution. That
means it is likely unstable or buggy, and it may even cause data loss.
Please be sure to consult the changelog and other possible
documentation before using it.
"

Obviously this is not true for the packages that we are talking about
(sphinx, numpy, scipy).

Ondrej