On Oct 25, 2012, at 07:05 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>* Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org>, 2012-10-25, 10:56:
>>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lsb/+bug/938869
>>
>>When you write system scripts like 'lsb_release' that use
>>>/usr/bin/python{,3} in the #! line, please remember to include -Es
>>>switches. This prevents the crash in question, where a VMware >installer
>>script was mucking with $PYTHONHOME for its own purposes, >with the side
>>effect of breaking Python's search for its stdlib. The >bug notices it in
>>lsb_release first, and we fixed that in Ubuntu, but >any other Python-based
>>system script that the VMware script would have >called would also be
>>broken.
>
>Surely that's a bug in VMware, not in lsb_release?

IIUC, VMware is doing this because they're shipping their own Python stdlib
and want their Python tools (invoked by the script) to use that.  So yeah, I'd
agree that VMware shouldn't be doing that. ;)

It still makes sense to insulate our system scripts from such silliness, and
adding -Es should become second nature.  But I also don't think it's a
widespread problem in practice, which is why I advocated against a mass
freakout. :)

Cheers,
-Barry