On Oct 25, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56:05AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> This doesn't requires a mass freakout, but it might be useful for a mass bug
>> filing (of non-urgent priority, I think).  I don't have time before UDS-R to
>> look into that, so I at least wanted to send this email to put it on the
>> radar.  Here is what the switches do (from python -h):
>
>> -E     : ignore PYTHON* environment variables (such as PYTHONPATH)
>> -s     : don't add user site directory to sys.path; also PYTHONNOUSERSITE
>
>> Using -E fixed the immediate bug, but I think it is generally useful to
>> include -s also, so as to avoid any potential breakage of system scripts by
>> things users may have added locally.
>
>If there's consensus that this should be dealt with in the packages, best
>would be to update the tooling (IIRC dh_python* already have some support
>for shebang rewrites?) and add a lintian warning, foregoing any mass bug
>filing.
>
>But like Jakub I'm not sure this actually warrants proactive effort on our
>part, because the only instance of this we've seen so far can be attributed
>to a misbehaving third-party app tainting the environment.  Yes, it's
>reasonable to work around that one known case, but why spend any effort on
>this problem unless and until we see a pattern of such abuse (where "a
>pattern" is N>1)?

I do believe dh_python* rewrites shebang lines already, so adding this there
is probably both easy, and appropriate (with a --disable flag of course).  I
agree it's not worth worrying about unless we see a pattern of breakage.
(OTOH, if it's easy enough to add and you happen to be mucking about in this
area already... :).

-Barry