On Aug 07, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>ehm.. Since you havent tried to create a perl package with
>dh-make-perl, I guess you missed much of its functionalities, like:
>
>* it downloads the tarball from CPAN
>* it populates the debian/ files with the information from module
>metadata (not all that crap that dh_make does)
>** it fetches the ITP bug number from BTS
>** setup all b-d and deps in d/control (ok, for deps we have
>dh_python*), Vcs fields, short and long descriptions and so on: it is
>basically ready with just 1 or 2 changes
>** create a very precise d/copyright (it will still need a manual
>check, but names, years, licenses are there)
>* all of these creating a git repo with the standards pkg-perl defined.
>
>that's almost all we have to do by hand; i was positively shocked when
>I used it the first time.

Two questions: is any of that applicable to Python?  Is any of that precluded
by a migration to git and git-dpm?  Meaning, sure that sounds like a cool tool
to have but we'd probably have to adapt the Perl tool or write our own
Pythonic one, and I don't get how that in any way influences our switch to
git.

Cheers,
-Barry