On Friday, August 07, 2015 02:37:18 PM Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > As someone who would really like to see the transition just get done, I
> > find having this conversation now VERY frustrating.  This has been
> > discussed for literally more than a year including at a session at the
> > last Debconf.
> >
> > When we were discussing git-dpm, I don't recall you objecting.
>
> I'm doing it now
>
> >  To wait until
> >
> > the moment we are ready to pull the trigger on the migration
>
> are we? when was the last update on it? from an external pov, there's
> not much happening on the matter
>
> > and demand we
> > stop and reconsider the entire plan certainly feels like some kind of
> > denial of service attack, even if you don't intend it this way.
>
> 'demand', 'denial of service attack'? I think you should re-read what
> you wrote before sending it. While I can understand why you want to
> exaggerate what I said, those are kinda strong words, even if sent
> towards an hostile team participant.
>
> > There comes a point where I think the team should be able to say "the time
> > for this conversation was ____ e.g. last year" and we're going to
> > proceed.
> ok, can you define the 'team' then? and how it can decide when the time is
> up?
> > Personally, I'm pretty much a git neophyte, but I find git-dpm trivially
> > easy to use and it has the property, which I think is essential, of
> > producing packages for upload that have patches in debian/patches that
> > are logically separated.  I think it's essential because I don't think
> > that one should have to refer back to a team VCS when trying to
> > understand how to fix a package later (e.g. a security update). [note:
> > I've no idea what other tools do or don't do this, I'm just saying this
> > is an attribute of git-dpm that I find critical to any solution].
> >
> > How many times should we rediscuss everything before doing this?
>
> talking about the 'patch regime' and a tool to codify our workflow
> (which is completely unrelated to the migration) is kinda far away
> from 'everything'.

I don't know anything about this except what's been on IRC and this mailing
list and I feel like it's been well discussed for a long time and I don't
think you not paying attention means we have to start over.  I'm sure that
sounds harsh, but we went through all this multiple times over the last year
(and no, I'm not going to waste my time looking up references to prove it, but
if not, how else would I know about it - I wasn't at the last Debconf and
AFAIK all the discussion has been public).

I don't think we should just throw away all the work that's been done up to
now.

Scott K