On Oct 22, 2015, at 11:11 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU) wrote:

>something else i wonder whether we shouldn't drop it, as i don't quite
>understand why it has to be in the policy.
>
>i *think* it's supposed to urge DDs into becoming team members, even though
>they can ("are able to") already write to the repos without asking for
>permissions.  but in fact for me it conveys the complete opposite: DDs can
>("are welcome to") add stuff to the repo, and they should only "request" if
>they want to commit themselves to the team.
>
>...which is probably a (not so) good loophole for any DD who just want their
>python packages under the DMPT umbrella without getting too involved (e.g. no
>sponsoring, maybe not even obey the the policy,...) :- (

Ultimately it reflects reality given that we won't (can't?) prohibit DDs from
write access without joining the team.

For example, if an NMU gets uploaded, I'd like for the DD to be able to commit
the change to the repo directly rather than have ask us one of us to do it for
them.  But any DD who really cares about Python should join the team, IMHO.
It's a pretty low barrier.

Cheers,
-Barry