[Barry Warsaw, 2015-10-21]
> What I'm trying to express is the team decision (a couple of debconfs ago) for
> pristine-tars rather than releasing from upstream git.  I do want to keep the
> rationale in the policy doc; it's one sentence and it seems to come up often
> enough.  Suggestions for better phrasing welcome!

Only version to version upstream changes should be kept in the repository -
complete upstream git history should be avoided. In order to make it
easier to cherry-pick upstream commits as patches, add remote repository
(example below).

  git remote add upstream_repo git://example.com/foo.git
  git fetch upstream_repo
  git-dpm checkout-patched
  git cherry-pick any_upstream_commit
  git-dpm update-patches

> >> +for use with ``pbuilder``, ``sbuild``, etc. or as a binary package
> >> directory.
> >
> >gbp can use sbuild/pbuilder, here's my ~/.gbp.conf:
> >
> >  [buildpackage]
> >  builder=sbuild
>
> This is the kind of thing that should go in the wiki.

I simply suggest to:

s/, either as a source package for use with ``pbuilder``, ``sbuild``, etc. or
as a binary package directory/ (it can be configured to use sbuild, pbuilder,
etc.)/

or remove this part completely

> >> +Use the following ``git-dpm`` tag formats for the three branches named
> >> above.
> >> +Put these lines at the *end* of your ``debian/.git-dpm`` file::
> >> +
> >> +    debianTag="debian/%e%v"
> >> +    patchedTag="patches/%e%v"
> >> +    upstreamTag="upstream/%e%u"
> >
> >I will update `py2dsp --profile dpmt ...` to do that out of the box, but
> >even then, it's better to suggest that tool in the wiki only, I guess
>
> I think so.  The tag format (and IMHO the mechanism to ensure it) should go in
> policy though.

nothing against this paragraph, just wanted to state that wiki will not have
to mention it if we have a tool that configures new package the way policy
wants.

> >I'm wondering about something that bit me recently: `gbp pull` instead
> >of `git pull` - should we put that into policy or is wiki warning enough?
>
> I think wiki is enough. It is possible to operate with just straight `git
> pull` because it will still fetch all commits, but when you switch to one of
> the other branches, you'll see that its head is out of date, and git will
> prompt you to pull in that branch to update it.  `gbp pull` is mostly
> convenience.

gbp buildpackage will fail if you never switched to pristine-tar (and
git didn't warn you about new commits). It wasn't obvious to me why
it fails when it hit me for the first time.