[Ben Finney, 2015-11-26]
> * Patch upstream's ‘setup.py’ to rename the command file to something
>   like ‘execute-lorem’, so that it can be installed alongside the
>   ‘lorem’ package directory.

instead of patching I usually let it install into /usr/bin and mv it to
/usr/share/foo/ under a different name (and then symlink) - see f.e.
gaupol's debian/rules

> * Create a symlink in the application-private directory, making an
>   application namespace from which to import the private modules.

in gaupol I use --install-lib=/usr/share/gaupol/
so that in the end I have:

 /usr/share/gaupol/gaupol - the library
 /usr/share/gaupol/run - the script
 /usr/bin/gaupol→/usr/share/gaupol/run - symlink