On Monday, March 06, 2017 07:04:41 AM Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Brian May's message of 2017-03-06 12:30:56 +1100:
> > The concept to convert from git-dpm to gbp pq is very very easy:
> >
> > 1. Delete debian/.git-dpm
> > 2. Unapply all patches.
> > 3. Commit and push.
> >
> > (repeat for all branches on all repositories)
> >
> > Step 2 is easier said then done. I can do it easy enough on my own
> > packages. I think we need a documented process anyone can follow. Plus
> > dealing with errors as required (e.g. if unapplying patches causes
> > conflicts due to non-compliant git-dpm package) - if anything like this
> > happens - hopefully on not many packages, these packages might require
> > manual processing.
> >
> > The obvious way "quilt pop -a" doesn't work, because the quilt .pc
> > directory does not exist, and quilt thinks the patches are already
> > unapplied. I sent an email previously with some (untested) suggestions I
> > had.
>
> Can we do this now, and push to a branch, so that when we unfreeze we
> can just 'git merge --ff-only' from master and then re-do any that fail?

I think it's reasonable to try this out on a branch for some number of
packages and write documentation (the documentation for using git with git-dpm
in DPMT is excellent and I don't think we should regress in that area).  Once
that's done, someone who doesn't know anything about gbp pq should try it out
and see if the documentation works (I'll be glad to do that).

Once we have that and have a tested migration script to do this and the later
merge, I think it would be reasonable to go ahead.

Scott K