On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 10:51:08AM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> It seems to me that generated files shouldn't be shipped as part of the
> source we distributed to users. Those files should be (re)generated at
> build time.

Ah, I understand you better now.  Debian is full of generated files
distributed in source packages.  Most of them could be regenerated at
build time, but it's often not done.  (If they cannot be regenerated
from source, then there's a DFSG issue.)  A search of the mailing list
archives would probably find many discussions about this; I'm not sure
what the current consensus is.

Best wishes,

   Julian