Am Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 01:54:13AM +0100 schrieb Thomas Goirand:

> While I can agree that it may be harsh, and that some packages wont be fixed
> in time, I can't let you say that there was only 1 month given, and that all
> of this comes as a surprise. We've been talking about this since last
> summer.

True, I remember the DebConf Python BoF.  My memory tells me that the
plan was to keep 3.10 as default.  Thus Python 3.11 would be really a
surprise.  From a maintainers team with lots of Python packages that
will need heavy work I can't say I'd be happy about a "migrate and see
what might happen afterwards" strategy as it was proposed here.  We have
lots to do even without such an experiment.

> Well, that's not the first time we are trying to push the latest interpreter
> close to a release.

The fact that we did so before does not make the idea better.

> I also very much would appreciate help on these (which all look like
> probably related to py3.11):
>
> #1026524 ironic-inspector: FTBFS: AttributeError: '_thread.RLock' object has
> no attribute 'is_locked'
> #1026547 python-pypowervm: FTBFS: AssertionError: Expected 'warn' to be
> called once. Called 2 times.
> #1026549 python-pytest-xprocess: FTBFS: tests failed
> #1026591 cinder: FTBFS: make[1]: pyversions: No such file or directory
> #1026595 python-murano-pkg-check: FTBFS: TypeError: load_all() missing 1
> required positional argument: 'Loader'
> #1026610 horizon: FTBFS: tests failed
> #1026691 bandit: FTBFS: TypeError: load() missing 1 required positional
> argument: 'Loader'
> #1026693 cloudkitty: FTBFS: touch: cannot touch
> '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/debian/cloudkitty-doc/usr/share/doc/cloudkitty-doc/html/_static/toggle.js':
> No such file or directory
> #1026702 python-cursive: FTBFS: AttributeError: '_RSAPrivateKey' object has
> no attribute 'signer'
> #1026705 python-pecan: FTBFS: E AttributeError: 'code' object has no
> attribute 'co_endlinetable'
> #1026707 jenkins-job-builder: FTBFS: E: pybuild pybuild:386: test: plugin
> custom failed with: exit code=1: PYTHON=python3.10 stestr run

If I would create a list mine whould be way longer.  (The list of
successful fixes we did in the Debian Med team is also quite
impressive.)  We are constantly beaten by removal from testing warnings
even with Python3.11 as an option and sometimes we simply need to remove
that option as a temporary means for bookworm.

> To sum-up: while I'm not 100% on the side of breaking things that close to a
> release, and would also feel it very painful if one of the above bugs isn't
> fixed in time, I don't feel like you guys are giving good point of
> argumentation, or a solution to improve the process. Doko already explained
> that switching the interpreter (the hard way) is the only viable way to find
> out the remaining bugs. Do you have a better solution in mind?

No better solution but better timing which means after bookworm release.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de