Hi Andreas,

On 12/30/22 10:22, Andreas Tille wrote:
True, I remember the DebConf Python BoF.  My memory tells me that the
plan was to keep 3.10 as default.  Thus Python 3.11 would be really a
surprise.  From a maintainers team with lots of Python packages that
will need heavy work I can't say I'd be happy about a "migrate and see
what might happen afterwards" strategy as it was proposed here.  We have
lots to do even without such an experiment.

This has since already been discussed here: the final decision was to "at least try 3.11", which is exactly what we're doing.

Well, that's not the first time we are trying to push the latest interpreter
close to a release.

The fact that we did so before does not make the idea better.

I also very much would appreciate help on these (which all look like
probably related to py3.11):

#1026524 ironic-inspector: FTBFS: AttributeError: '_thread.RLock' object has
no attribute 'is_locked'
#1026547 python-pypowervm: FTBFS: AssertionError: Expected 'warn' to be
called once. Called 2 times.
#1026549 python-pytest-xprocess: FTBFS: tests failed
#1026591 cinder: FTBFS: make[1]: pyversions: No such file or directory
#1026595 python-murano-pkg-check: FTBFS: TypeError: load_all() missing 1
required positional argument: 'Loader'
#1026610 horizon: FTBFS: tests failed
#1026691 bandit: FTBFS: TypeError: load() missing 1 required positional
argument: 'Loader'
#1026693 cloudkitty: FTBFS: touch: cannot touch
'/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/debian/cloudkitty-doc/usr/share/doc/cloudkitty-doc/html/_static/toggle.js':
No such file or directory
#1026702 python-cursive: FTBFS: AttributeError: '_RSAPrivateKey' object has
no attribute 'signer'
#1026705 python-pecan: FTBFS: E AttributeError: 'code' object has no
attribute 'co_endlinetable'
#1026707 jenkins-job-builder: FTBFS: E: pybuild pybuild:386: test: plugin
custom failed with: exit code=1: PYTHON=python3.10 stestr run

FYI, I'm down with only 2 major bugs (I don't mind much if the other 3 RC bugs push the 3 affected packages away from the release, it's just a "would be nice" thing ATM):

#1026524 ironic-inspector: FTBFS: AttributeError: '_thread.RLock' object has no attribute 'is_locked'
#1026591 cinder: FTBFS: make[1]: pyversions: No such file or directory

The first one also appears in Python 3.10.9, but seems not present in Python 3.10.6, as per a discussion with upstream on IRC. It looks like the default threading thingy has changed a little bit, leading to this... I know already how to fix the actual executed code, but this leaves some wrong tests (assert called), so I'm waiting to see if upstream can do better than me.

For the Cinder bug, it looks like a test-only issue, which upstream is already working on. Worst case: blacklist these 250 failing tests, which is better than what it sounds (ie: just like Ironic, the actual production code is ok...).

If I would create a list mine whould be way longer.

Please share it in this list!

We are constantly beaten by removal from testing warnings
even with Python3.11 as an option and sometimes we simply need to remove
that option as a temporary means for bookworm.

Same over here. It's finally looking good for me after 2 months of heavy efforts.

No better solution but better timing which means after bookworm release.

I've read *many* people saying it would be disappointing for them to see their package removed because of Python 3.11. Well, please consider that it would also be very disappointing to *not* have Python 3.11 for those who managed constantly fix issues for it.

The timing was exactly what was discussed during Debconf: it's very annoying that this year, upstream Python release was one month late... we're only trying to deal with it.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)