I have done a test with a new installation of Debian.
Yesterday I have created a minimal installation of Debian for i386 architecture with qemu.

I have downloaded the latest weekly build of debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso image and I have installed it on a qcow2 image of 4GB

I have installed kde-plasma-desktop and kdm.
I have put the correct kdm.service in the /lib/systemd/system/ directory

I have rebooted the system and the result is the same as on my real machines. kdm it's not executed.
If I delete kdm.service file at the next reboot kdm works as expected.

You can download the disk image of my VM from this link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrcwkmbbbqlf5em/HDD4GB.7z?dl=0

I have run it with this command
qemu-system-i386 -m 512 -enable-kvm -cpu athlon -hda HDD4GB.qcow2

I hope it helps you to understand where is the problem.