Hi,

Am 13.01.24 um 13:59 schrieb rhys:
No.

You are AGAIN assuming what I am talking about.
Maybe because of how you write...
I know the difference between a 32-bit processor and a 64-bit processor.

Obviously you don't. Or at least are not aware about consequences.

Since you still offer 32bit machines of which Debian has enough of. (64 bit kernel probably but it doesn't matter) where it does not matter at all.

You ignore the stated fact in this thread that on a 32bit processor one process can't get more than 3GB or even less of RAM (regardless of what memory extension stuff exists).

In  https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2024/01/msg00191.html (where the quoting is a problem, one doesn't know what is yours and what not) you ignored what YunQiang said in the post you replied to:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2024/01/msg00189.html

Quoting again just for you:

"[...] It is about some limitation of 32bit.
2 examples for it:
   1. if we use 32bit value for time, it will overflow in 2038, then
your time will be shown as 1900.
       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
   2. A single process (or maybe APP, not precisely), can only use UP
to 4GiB RAM.
       In fact on most system the value is less than 4GiB:
          on intel32, it is 3GiB
          on mips32, it is 2GiB
       But currently, it is not enough, for example, when we build a
big APP, it will need much more RAM.
       The RAM does install in your Rack, but you can NOT use it.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier

"

And THAT (2.) is the problem here for linking big applications/compile units. Not the lack of machines.

And that is a limitation of *the architecture*.

Putting more "32bit machines" on it do not change anything of that except that there were more machines which cannot build big stuff.

Regards,

Rene