On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 21:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:32:42 -0400 (EDT), Philipp Kern wrote:
> >
> > Hrm.  Odd.  It shouldn't be because the brokeness relates to the C
> > library, not to the C compiler itself and zipl does not use the C
> > library.
>
> Again, we must distinguish between zipl, the Linux command which
> runs at a Linux shell prompt, and zIPL, the boot loader proper,
> a customized version of which is written out by zipl when zipl gets
> run.  zipl, the command which runs at a Linux shell prompt, most
> certainly does use the C library.  It is written in C, it is compiled
> by the C compiler, and, at execution time, it uses the C run-time
> library, just like any other C program.
> zIPL, which is written
> out by zipl, does not use the C library.  Or does it?  Well, not
> the regular C library, no.  But it does use a minimalist run-time
> library.  In the source package, look at zipl/boot/libc.c.  Yes, even
> zIPL, the boot loader proper, does use a C library of sorts.

Just for confirmation:

Stephen is right. The zipl tool is a "normal" C program that uses
the glibc. The zipl boot loader code under the "boot" source directory
does not use the glibc or any other external library.

Before s390-tools-1.24.0 it was written 100% in assembler. With
s390-tools-1.24.0 we have rewritten the code in C and have added our
own minimal libc.

Best Regards,
Michael