On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 07:02:21AM -0400, Howard V. Hardiman wrote:
> I am configuring a golden image that will live on one piece of dasd
> with LVM.  When I clone it I will need to add more dasd to certain of
> the cloned guests.  So, now I am attempting to do a fresh install that
> has LVM for the golden image, because my current golden image does not
> use LVM.  As you mentioned, in this process I am letting the
> 'installer' do the job.  But, during one of the last steps of the
> install I get the error about zipl bootloader not being able to
> download and I have to skip that step.  The install finishes but I
> cannot boot with the ipl command.
>
> Here is a run down of what I have done relating to the LVM.
>
> (1.) Placed a 100M partition on the dasd and made it the /boot partition
> (2.) Placed the remainder of dasd in a virtual group vg1
> (3.) Created logical volume lv1 = '/' and lv2=swap, using vg1
> (4.) Wrote partitions and moved on with install process

I encountered the same problem recently on a crash-and-burn machine and
it needed some coercing. I see the following in dmesg:

[    0.472658] dasd-eckd 0.0.0100: New DASD 3390/0C (CU 3990/01) with 20000
cylinders, 15 heads, 224 sectors
[    0.484985] dasd-eckd 0.0.0100: DASD with 4 KB/block, 14400000 KB total
size, 48 KB/track, compatible disk layout
[    0.488496]  dasda:VOL1/  0X0100: dasda1 dasda2

And the partitions are set up like this:

# fdasd -p /dev/dasda

WARNING: Your DASD '/dev/dasda' is in use.
         If you proceed, you can heavily damage your system.
         If possible exit all applications using this disk
         and/or unmount it.

reading volume label ..: VOL1
reading vtoc ..........: ok

Disk /dev/dasda:
  cylinders ............: 20000
  tracks per cylinder ..: 15
  blocks per track .....: 12
  bytes per block ......: 4096
  volume label .........: VOL1
  volume serial ........: 0X0100
  max partitions .......: 3

 ------------------------------- tracks -------------------------------
               Device      start      end   length   Id  System
          /dev/dasda1          2     5462     5461    1  Linux native
          /dev/dasda2       5463   299999   294537    2  Linux lvm
exiting...

# cat /proc/mounts | grep dasd
/dev/dasda1 /boot ext2 rw,relatime 0 0
# pvs
  PV          VG    Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/dasda2 sysvg lvm2 a--  13.48g    0

However it then turned out that I needed to hack the zipl config to make the
kernel see the DASD from within the initrd.

[    0.066844] Kernel command line: root=/dev/sysvg/root dasd_mod.dasd=0.0.0100
BOOT_IMAGE=0

When the zipl-installer part failed you can always do two things: Go to
a shell (debian-installer) offers you this in the menu. Then run `sh -x
/var/lib/dpkg/info/zipl-installer.postinst'. That should show you where
the bootloader installation actually fails. (I.e. calling zipl, maybe
with a few log lines of what's missing.) Then you can also manually run
it via `chroot /target /bin/bash' and then running `zipl' in there.

How does it complain and what do the above commands show?

> If I proceed in the installation it says that I can manually boot with
> the /vmlinuz kernel on partition /dev/dasda1 and root
> /dev/mapper/vg1-lv1 passed as kernel argument.  How do I do that?  If
> that works, can I then load zipl or some bootloader that will allow me
> to be able to ipl the OS like normal?

You will always need zipl. You could in theory punch the files from
within the chroot during installation and load that up, but the correct
way is to get zipl to install.

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern