In the mean time the hang problem has been fixed, on both the official Hyperion
and SDL Fish Hyperion forks, and also on my fork of the Spinhawk Hercules
(https://github.com/Peter-J-Jansen/spinhawk; a pull request has been issued).

However, installing Debian 9 directly under Hercules still encounters problems
with both the CTCI and OSA layer 2 and layer 3 devices. (I will investigate
this further after my vacation, and try to find and fix the problem.) Only the
installation of Debian 9 under VM works fine. The resulting Debian 9 works
fine, also when IPL‘d directly under Hercules.

Peter Jansen

Sent from my iPhone