Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Kind of off-topic here, but I've been wondering for a while [1] whether
> the portmap package would be made to not install by default.

I'd been wondering the same thing.  Beyond that, I've been hoping that,
at some point in the future, Debian won't cause network daemons to
autostart in the default runlevel just because they've been installed.
E.g., maybe the dpkg --configure step could prompt for that decision.

I'm sure this is a more-complex matter than it seems, but perhaps the
possibility could be borne in mind for future consideration.

--
Cheers,                    Remember:  The day after tomorrow is the third day
Rick Moen                  of the rest of your life.