Hi,

From: Mathias Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some more port closing questions
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:23:55 +0200

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:24:50AM +0900, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > From: Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: Some more port closing questions
> > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:21:18 -0700
> >
> > > Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED] ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> > > I'd been wondering the same thing.  Beyond that, I've been hoping that,
> > > at some point in the future, Debian won't cause network daemons to
> > > autostart in the default runlevel just because they've been installed.
> > > E.g., maybe the dpkg --configure step could prompt for that decision.
> >
> > Ah, that would be nice too.  I know that the first thing I usually do
> > when I boot my laptop is to stop a bunch of daemons that started
> > up at boot (-;
> >
> Apart from the starting by default issue: Why not just remove the appropriate
> symlinks S*
> in the directory /etc/rc2.d/ (or whatever runlevel you get into by default).
>
> Keep the scripts in /etc/init.d so you can start them by hand later.

I used to do this but after a while I got tired of doing it manually
and having to think about the implementation details of runlevels
(i.e. the S* and K* stuff).  It's really an interface issue (apart
from the default issue).

On a related note, I just ran dselect and noticed rcconf -- may be
that's what I want (-;  I'll have to check that out.