Hi,

From: Frank Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some more port closing questions
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:33:37 +0000 (UTC)

> On 30 Jul 02 23:24:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Ah, that would be nice too.  I know that the first thing I usually do
> > when I boot my laptop is to stop a bunch of daemons that started
> > up at boot (-;
>
> # update-rc.d -f somedaemon remove

>From update-rc.d(8), I take it this:

  removes any links in the /etc/rcrunlevel.d directories to the
  script /etc/init.d/name.  The script must have been deleted
  already - update-rc.d checks for this.

I don't think that's what I want -- I want the software installed,
just not started by default.

I believe it's not that uncommon to install some software for testing
purposes (at least this is often the case for me) -- in this kind of
situation, you don't necessarily want the software to be running all
of the time.  In addition, if you're using a laptop which you power on
and off w/ regular frequency (such as a few times a day), all daemons
starting up at boot presents an inconvenient situation.

Relying on myself to turn things off whenever I boot is prone to error
and writing custom scripts to automate this is not a good practice
from a maintenance perspective.  IMHO it really ought to be part of
the OS' capabilities.

Perhaps update-rc.d or rcconf (as I posted earlier) can be used to get
the desired behavior -- but I do think that being asked by default at
installation time whether to start stuff up at boot time is better
behavior than the current behavior.

I particularly like NetBSD's approach of not enabling any network
daemons by default -- it requires an explicit decision on the part of
the system administrator to have a network daemon start up.

Just me two cents (-;