On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 6:28 PM Adam McKenna <a...@flounder.net> wrote:

> > i believe the answer is in the question. debian is based on distributed
> > trust.  i did the analysis (took 3 weeks): it is literally the only distro
> > in the world with an inviolate chain of trust from a large keyring dating
> > back 20 years that is itself GPG-signed as a package, with a package
> > distribution chain from source where all components within the chain up to
> > release are unbroken and inviolate.
>
> This is not an answer to the question though, OP was asking how we prevent
> abuse of that trust.

reputation, and potentially criminal and civil proceedings.

all identities are known, and inviolate-known [through the
above-described chain].
anyone stupid enough to abuse their position may only do so once, at which
point their GPG key is revoked.

given that GPG key-signing parties require people's real-world identities
to be known, it is easy to track down who signed whose key (it's right
there in the keyring-archive], and request that the signer provide assistance
to the relevant authorities in proving that real-world identity.

this will sufficiently piss off those people that trusted them that they will
be unlikely to work with them ever again [reputation]

in addition there is the Debian Trademark which if brought into disrepute
through abuse could be utilised to seek damages against the perpetrator.

bottom line is that it would be a spectacularly stupid thing to do to violate
the trust and responsibility of being a Debian Maintainer, and the really
interesting bit to me is that this all works in an entirely distributed manner
and can all entirely be done entirely without a single centralised authority,
i.e. *not* having to trust f*****g google or f*****g github with anyone's
real-world identity in any way shape or form.

l.