> anyone stupid enough to abuse their position may only do so once, at
which point their GPG key is revoked.

You are talking about a deterrent though.  I think the question is, what if
someone cares more about their political cause than retaining their
uploader access?

What if someone's keys are compromised and an attacker uploads a
compromised package?

Do we have ways of detecting these breaches or do we rely solely on user
reports?