On 04/14/2018 08:53 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
On 04/14/2018 08:26 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
I have successfully tested GRUB on a PRIMEPOWER 250 with SPARC64 V+ (see [1]). The problem is that the Linux kernel doesn't work on any Fujitsu SPARC64 gear currently, not even on newer M-class machines (see [2]).
So anything like this is a waste of time to try ?

$ psrinfo -pv
The physical processor has 8 virtual processors (0-7)
   SPARC64-VII+ (portid 1024 impl 0x7 ver 0xa1 clock 2860 MHz)

As I don't have any M-class gear myself, I have to rely on the info given in the mailing list threads mentioned on [1]. Though it will never hurt to try again if you have the hardware, as the threads were already from late 2017 and 2015 respectively. Things might be different now, although I have my doubts.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Installing_the_Debian_SPARC64_Port

Or does one need to do a cross compile from some other platform of a kernel?

No I don't think so. I believe support for Fujitsu's SPARC64 processors and accompanying chipsets is just missing in the Linux kernel currently. BTW OpenBSD has support for Fujitsu SPARC64 gear (see [2]) - just be careful when trying it on a M3000 ([3]).

[2]: http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html

[3]: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-sparc&m=151586763100964&w=2