David Garamond wrote:

Cristi Banciu wrote:

We are planning to migrate a bunch of hosting servers from RH73 + qmail + vmailmgr to Sarge and I'd appreciate on the comments of the choice of MTA to use.

Oh, I should add that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to other MTAs. I've used qmail ever since I've used Linux (around RH5-RH6). I'm not even familiar with Sendmail. Most of my friends are pushing for Postfix, but I see that Debian's default is exim, and I myself have been using courier-imap so currently I'm thinking courier would be the easiest migration route.

And why don't u use qmail ?

I thought qmail doesn't exist in the main debian archive?

--
dave

Looking via synaptic: qmail-src

Source only package for building qmail binary package
qmail is a secure Secure, reliable, efficient, simple mail transport system.

Dan Bernstein (qmail's author) only gives permission for qmail to be
distributed in source form, or binary for by approval. This package
has been put together to allow people to easily build a qmail binary
package for themselves, from source.

To build a binary deb package, first install the qmail-src package, then
type the command "build-qmail". If you try "apt-get source --build qmail-src"
it will most likely fail because the users do not exist. You MUST install
the qmail-src package first. Also be sure to build and install ucspi-tcp
before installing the binary qmail package. Install the ucspi-tcp-src package
to get ucspi-tcp.

This package builds a binary .deb that is FHS compliant and conforms to the
Debian standards guidelines. The resulting binary packages are not suitable
for re-distribution.

There are pre-compiled binary packages for qmail available, but they do not
conform to the Debian standards, and are not available in the official archive.

Robin