On Sunday 14 November 2004 15:19, David Garamond wrote:
> We are planning to migrate a bunch of hosting servers from RH73 + qmail
> + vmailmgr to Sarge and I'd appreciate on the comments of the choice of
> MTA to use.
>
> Requirements:
> - Maildir support;
> - Software binary packages are in the main Debian archive (so we are
> guaranteed prompt security updates when Sarge becomes stable);
> - IMAPD, POP3;

You need two separate things - something to provide the Mail Transport Agent.
You main choices are Postfix and Exim.   With both of these you can configure
them to deliver mail to Maildir mailboxes for local users - or to other
things (for instance through mailing lists etc).

You use a separate package to provide IMAP or POP3 servers - serving the mail
from these Maildir mailboxes.  For this, probably the Courier-Imap package is
what you want (there are other choices but I don't think the others support
maildirs very well).

Postfix v Exim is normally a religious choice - Debian slightly favours Exim.

I have tried both, although only for a population of 4 maildir users some
mailing lists and other addresses that I forward.  I favour exim for two
reasons.

1) I think that Exim allows the rules that you create to be more configurable
to exact requirements rather than just specifiying on/off options and lists
of things that postfix seems to use.  As a result it easier to have more
exact control over how mail was processed - I have all mail passing through
spamassassin and through virus scanners all set up through the configuration
file, as I do teergrubbing of people trying to send me spam or possibly
attack mail in other ways

2) Its possible to put in generic rules to manage mailing lists under mailman
so there is no need to add loads of aliases to the /etc/aliases file every
time I create or destroy a mailing list

Admittedly these two reasons are rather flimsy, but I say it was a religious
choice

--
Alan Chandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]