Andreas Janssen wrote:

Almost all other mainstream distibutions (Mandrake, Slackware, Fedora,
SuSE) install 2.6 by default. Knoppix comes with kernel 2.6 (although
you may have to activate it using a boot option). Debian Sarge comes
with kernel 2.6 (although I think right now the default installation
kernel is 2.4). The only mainstream distribution I know that does not
have kernel 2.6 is Debian Woody, the current stable release. It is
nearly 2 1/2 years old.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

Interesting. I was aware of the option in both Knoppix and d-i etc to use 2.6. Will Sarge default to 2.6? Considering it hasn't been released yet it most certainly is not old. Maybe I had the wrong impression, however I always see posts where people are using 2.4, and some people I know go as far as to consider 2.4.27 the latest 'stable.' Many programs and [actively developed] drivers (cdrecord comes to mind) have only experimental 2.6 support -- this makes me think many developers haven't made the move. After all, how can you work on a driver while using a kernel which it doesn't properly support? Of course they could be working on that experimental support, but overall I had the general impression that they were clinging to 2.4; 2.6 is quite mature and the general slowness of the move to 2.6 probably gave me the wrong impression.

Anyway, thanks for your input. It's good to know I'm not an oddball for using the latest kernel, for a while I was sure there must have been something wrong with 2.6 which kept people from upgrading.