On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Lawrence Chim wrote:
>
> > Is linux kernel vfat support compatible with the vfat32 from the
> > microsoft recent OEM WIN95 release?
>
> I would strongly doubt it.  vfat used to be just a superset of the fat
> filesystem so it was too difficult to add support.  vfat32, on the
> otherhand, is a big jump considering the fact that most dos utilities
> won't work with it either.

No, vfat does not give FAT32 capability.  It is a superset of the FAT
filesystem (having nothing to do with the FAT itself really:  it fiddles
the directory entries).  FAT32 is being worked on, I did see a message to
this effect in c.o.l.dev.

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1996 William Burrow