Debians,

        Thank you in advance for any help.

        I recently upgraded my Slackware 3.0 (linux 1.2.13) system to Debian
1.1 (linux 2.0.6) via InfoMagic's Dec 96 6 cd set, and was disappointed that
mt(1) limitations were not lifted.

Summary:How can I read and write multiple archives on a floppy tape?
        Is anyone writing multiple archives on a Travan floppy tape?

Problem:mt -f /dev/nrft0 eof
                reports "Operation not permitted"
        I understood that this was a limitation of linux 1.2.13 but not
                of linux 2.0.6.

        tar -cvf /dev/nrft0 .
        tar -cvf /dev/nrft0 ./.deleted
                writes the first file (archive of .)
                does not write the second file (archive of ./.deleted)

        400MB tapes have ~10%/400MB read error rate.
        I suspect that the Travan T-1000 motor is only marginally capable
                of handling the moment of inertia of 400MB tapes.

Workaround: (for past year with Slackware 3.0)
        Place only one archive on each tape.
        Use /dev/rft0.
        Use only 200MB tapes.

Config: Dell Dimension XPS-133c
        Travan T-1000 400MB internal floppy tape controller
        Debian 1.1
        linux 2.0.6

                                                Any help appreciated,
--
                                                Robert Meier

        "Democracy is the most inefficient form of government,
        except for all the others."  -- Winston Churchill

FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.      Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: 1-810-377-7469                   Fax:      1-810-377-7363