Jens, Ken, and any other interested parties

        Thank you for your able assistance with the mt(8).  The secret was
the need to use mt erase on a tape.  This works for linux 2.06, but does
not work for linux 1.2.13 (Operation not permitted).  I understand that
patch 56(?) addressed this problem for linux 1.2.13.

        If you have time, I am curious.  What is the action performed by
erase that makes multiple file storage possible?  Why is only the first
file accessible if erase is not performed?  I understood that tape
operations recorded nominally-fixed-length blocks of bits on the tape with
eof marks in between, and an eot at the end.  Tar by default writes several
file blocks followed by two eof marks.

        .......++......++.....++*
        ^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^  ^^^^^    file blocks
               ^^      ^^     ^^  6 eof marks (2/file by convention)
                                ^ eot mark

        What is the difference between a pre-formatted (QIC02?) tape and a tape
after mt erase?

                                                Curious,
--
                                                Robert Meier

        "Albert Einstein in 1906,
        Set out a theory, the universe to fix.
        No longer apart, space and time came together,
        Their wrinkles account for the fall of a feather."
                        Physicists by Robert Meier

FANUC Robotics North America, Inc.      Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: 1-810-377-7469                   Fax:      1-810-377-7363