On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> [...]
> Manoj Srivastava  wrote:
> >
> >     You are hereby excused. *Nothing* has an S* in more than one
> >  level. A package is meant to be at a certain run level and higher. A
> >  level 3 package is started at run level 3, killed in run level 2, and
> >  at *no* other level. See how this works?
>
> There is one thing that I dont see yet.  There might be a necessity to
> introduce parallel routes, e.g. you would want to have a runlevel that
> starts xdm, and one that starts networking deamons for machines that
> actually are on a network.  But there is no intrinsic order between
> these things.  My machine at home is not connected to any network, which
> means that certain daemons are not necessary, even if I do want to run
> X.  Other people may want to connect to the network without having to
> go through a runlevel that starts xdm.  Now how is this tackled?
>
> Eric Meijer

True this would take some planning.  Agreed it has it
limitations.  However, it doesn't even work this well
currently, at least in Debian GNU/Linux.  Our current
approach is just plain broken.  Even if you go through the
trouble of fixing it, it re-breaks with every package
installation (that installs a start/stop script).  I would
just like it to work "as expected" and we can go from there.
Adding enhancements to the system while keeping it backward
compatable is attractive, but not as easy as it sounds.

Cheers,

--

"Until we extend the circle of our compassion to all living
things, we will not ourselves find peace" -Albert Schweitzer

Richard G. Roberto