On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Paul Miller wrote:
>
> > > For the most part, everything is compiled only for hamm.  Many (most?)
> > > developers don't have access to machines for compiling libc5-based stuff
> > > easily anymore, and bo is supposed to be frozen except for security and
> > > severe bugfix releases.
> >
> > Well, just about the only thing I can compile is the kernel..  I want to
> > at least be able to compile Taper 6.8.2 and all of the KDE packages.  I
> > used to be able to compile Taper, but I can't anymore -- I need to compile
> > it because the Debian distribution never works with the input fields
> > (ncurses problem I think) .. and KDE just rules.. I can only compile about
> > 1/2 of the basic packages (libs, support, base, and games work; net media,
> > and all of the apps don't).
>
> What development packages do you have installed?  You need to upgrade most
> of the development packages to compile new stuff, I expect you didn't
> install the new ncurses3.4-dev, etc.

I have the current version (according to dselect) of all the hamm
packages.  Here is an example of compiling Taper 6.8.2:

# make
echo "#define CUR_VERSION \""6.8.2"\"" > version.h
make depend
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/taper-6.8.2'
gcc -M -I/usr/include/ncurses vars.c common.c endianize.c tapeio.c
rtapelib.c sel_backup.c backup.c sel_restore.c restore.c utils.c mkinfo.c
taper.c  bg_backup.c  \
     bg_restore.c  > .depend
make -C compress depend
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/taper-6.8.2/compress'
gcc -M -I/usr/include/ncurses zip.c unzip.c bits.c trees.c deflate.c
inflate.c util.c lzrw3.c  > .depend
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/taper-6.8.2/compress'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/taper-6.8.2'
gcc -O6 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -pipe   -DLINUX -D_GNU_SOURCE -Dlint
-DTRIPLE_BUFFER          -I/usr/include/ncurses -o vars.o -c vars.c
In file included from taper.h:43,
                 from vars.c:17:
select_box.h:125: parse error before `umode_t'
make: *** [vars.o] Error 1

I used to be able to compile this program!

-Paul