Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> Happy Holidays,
>
> I have a 2 part question and as always I'd appreciate any and all
> information!
>
> 1:      In my .bash_profile I would like to initiate X everytime I login
>         at the console but not when logging in remotely.  I experience 2
>         problems.
>
>         1.  When I merely enter "startx" in .bash_profile I receive a
>             short delay, then all my usual X stuff but with an error
>             appearing in every xterm.
>
>         X: you are not authorised to run X server!

This message happens because each xterm is a "login session" and
therefore the bash reads .bash_profile and executes 'startx'.

>         2.  Secondly, I wish to start the Xserver only when at my computer
>             so I tried to enter this into my .bash_profile and I can't get
>             it to work.  What is wrong with it?
>
>         if [ "$TERM" = "console" ]; then
>                 "startx -- -bpp 16"
>         fi

The TERM environment variable describes the terminal "type" rather than
the device. It isn't what you want. What you want is:

if expr `/usr/bin/tty` : '/dev/tty[0-9]'; then
   exec startx -- -bpp 16
fi

(Make sure you put this *last* in the file.)
Better yet, don't do this at all. Use xdm. It really isn't that scary
to set up and solves all these problems *much* more gracefully in
addition to closing the security hole of having to make the X server
set-userid root.

> 2:      I am also requesting suggestions for a study guide/brain candy
>         type book on TCP/IP networking.  If any of the Linux/*nix gurus or
>         senior system administrators would make a suggestion I'd appreciate
>         it.

I the series called something like 'TCP/IP ...' written by Douglas Comer.
I can give you ISBN if you want. Let me know today and I'll write it
down when I go home. It's a three-volume set but just vol. 1 or maybe
also vol. 2 should more than satisfy your needs and desires.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]