:On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Michael [badpixel/bad sector] wrote:
        :
        :: Hi!
        ::
        :: > > Just wondering how to uprade to libc6? Do I just install
the libc6 package,
        :: > > or do I have to reinstall my hole system? ...
        :: >
        :: > http://www.debian.org/devel/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html
        ::
        :: Ok ... but I just have a little problem (i think!) :)
        ::
        :: the libc6 package conflicts with libc5,and when i tries to
remove
        :: libc5 a lot of programs depends on that...
        ::
        :
        :Read the last paragraph of Scott Ellis's FAQ (section 4.6).
The URL is
        :cleverly hidden in this email message.
        :
        :
        I read that and I was wondering what exactly the conflicts are.
It
        mentions 'locales' and the 'format of utmp/wtmp'.  What kinds of
        problems are caused by these conflicts?

        VAResearch had me upgrade to libc6 and override the conflict
        so that I could add another package I needed.  After two days,
        I haven't noticed any problems (other than I now have both
        libc5 and libc6 in memory, I presume, when I am running X.)

        I have grabbed the libc5_5.4.33-3.deb package that the
        FAQ suggests as an alternative, but I haven't installed
        it yet.  Is there anything I should look for?

        Thanks,
        John Marter      [EMAIL PROTECTED]