On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Scott Ellis wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Matej Grasic wrote:
>
> > Hello. I have aquestion about CDE.
> > Is there a version of CDE for Debian (can I hope that it will be).
>
> CDE is commercial software.  You can buy a Linux version from RedHat and
> convert the RPM using the "alien" package into a .deb to install.

I just tried installing the RedHat CDE package into a Debian unstable
system.  It was compiled with an oldish version of libc5 and not libc6
which the unstable release is based on.  I was successful in
converting the rpm files to deb files using alien.  Unfortunately,
when I tried to start CDE using dtlogin, I received a core dump.  I
received no response from RedHat technical support.

Its a real pity that Debian doesn't have support for the primary
window enviornment used by all commercial UNIX vendors.  Maybe we
should try to work directly with TriTeal, the suppliers of CDE for
RedHat, a seperate package for Debian.

--
Jean Pierre