"David Z. Maze" wrote:

  >Richard Sevenich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
  >RS> I would like to install a software package that requires
  >RS> xlib6g. dpkg is loathe to install xlib6g with xlib6 already
  >RS> installed. Can I safely remove xlib6 i.e.  will packages depending
  >RS> on xlib6 accept xlib6g ... or? ...
  >
  >If you install the xlib6 from hamm, xlib6g should install fine.
  >xlib6g is the glibc version of the X libraries, and libc5 programs
  >won't run without the xlib6 package.

Upgrading to glibc (libc6) is not that simple.  It is a fundamental
change which affects a lot of other things.  Especially, don't force
anything or you may end up with an unuasable system.

Look at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html

and

http://www.debian.org/devel/autoup.sh

--
Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]